Home Baked Stories is a pilot series showing the stories behind home cooked meals. Episode three features Mariantonia Blanco and Guillermo Hung who are cooking Chicken Casserole with Three Chinese Mushrooms and Szechwan Cucumber Salad (recipe below).
Our first six episodes focus on cooks from the new homemade meal cooperative, MealKu.
How to make Chicken Casserole with Three Chinese Mushrooms
6 chicken thighs (boneless & skinned)*
Wood ear mushroom
Chinese cooking wine
Corn or peanut oil
- Slice the chicken & marinate with soy, salt, sugar, corn starch & Sesame oil, put apart
- Clean & cut mushrooms (hydrate if dried)
- Peel and slice ginger
- Cut stalks of scallions
- Start wok
- When hot, add corn oil, add ginger to savor oil, add the 3 mushrooms & stir fry, add Chinese cooking wine 7 stir fry 2 minutes, set apart
- Heat up wok until smoky add corn or peanut oil, add chicken & stir fry.
- Once the chicken is sealed, add the previously done mushrooms, add 1/2 cup of chicken stock, and some soy sauce, sugar, Chinese cooking wine, and cook covered for 5 minuted ad mid high heat.
- Add scallions and a mix of water & corn starch to thicken the sauce.
*You can prepare with tofu for a vegetarian take on the dish.
Serve with white Jasmine rice
How to make Szechwan Cucumber Salad
4 taiwanese cucumbers
4 garlic cloves
1 cup cilantro (coriander) leaves (fresh)
2 hot small szechwan peppers
- Cut the cucumber in to rough 1 inch pieces and then smash them with the knife, put them on a colander over a bowl and add about 3 tbsp of salt (do not use sea salt) Let it drain for about 30 minutes.
- Chop the garlic finely and wash and take the coriander leaves, set apart.
- Cut the peppers and take the seeds out, chop finely
- Heat 4 tbsp of peanut oil until smoky, and pour the hot oil on the garlic (in a heat resistant bowl), add 3 tbsp of rice vinegar, 2 tbsp of sugar and 2 tbsp of soy sauce, stir and put apart.
- Put the cucumbers in a salad bowl, add the peppers, and pour in the vinagrette, stir and add the coriander leaves.